Fun times in our store with costumes, beads, masks and merriment as Mardi Gras approaches. We have crowns, capes, jesters, masks and a huge array of beads to help with your event or just to dress up for the day at your workplace! Imagine your Rubber Duckie beads bringing a smile to all who see you (and they will be wishing that they thought of it first) So come on in to our little Shoppe or visit your own local costume shop to celebrate the Louisiana tradition of Mardi Gras with color and creativity.
Need an idea for your own Mardi Gras party? We have an amazing murder mystery if you want to host a party called “ Murder at the Mardi Gras”….includes invitations and the little scripts for your friends. I have done this Murder Mystery party and it was a riot. It is amazing what donning a costume will do for some people…they really get into it! We were so busy having fun that no one really noticed the clues so only one person guessed the murderer.
Below is a recipe for Beignets for a sweet treat: (feel free to share with lots of friends for even more fun!)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the shortening, and then the remaining 3 cups of flour. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil. If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough. Drain onto paper towels.
- Shake confectioners’ sugar on hot beignets. Serve warm.
Merry Mardi Gras…
Happy Make Believe!!